Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Welcome to My Professional Blog

Hello there! I'm Matty Cipov, currently I am in the process of getting my Post Baccalaureate Art Teacher Certification at University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, and I'm also an art teacher at LaFollette K-8th School. Already being a teaching professional takes care of a huge goal of mine, but considering how new I still am to the profession there are a number of other goal that I have. My experience so far as an art teacher has been very special thus far and I look forward to doing this for many years to come.

I entered LaFollette while the school was already weeks into the 2018-2019 school year and had pretty much given up on the prospects of having an art professional in the building for the immediate future. I had to rebuild the art room environment back up from a place of neglect and I am still learning what it is like to operate with limited supplies. Beyond that, I am so new to this experience that I find new challenges every week. I realize these are the jitters and stumbles of someone still quite new to a job. But I think what takes it to a more serious level for me is knowing that new, or not, I am working with students each day. And despite my current short-comings, they deserve a quality art experience each week.

What I look forward to is having my bearings and knowing more of what to expect each week as I get deeper into teaching. More than that, I look forward to the possibility of being able to properly construct an art room with more supplies available, or easier to obtain so my students really can thrive.

HERE IS A GREAT WEBSITE FOR FINDING ARTISTS TO USE IN ART LESSONS:
https://www.artsy.net/artists

Lastly, here is a photo of me working with a bunch of awesome 3rd graders at Fratney School in late 2018. It was such a good experience and I loved seeing all the smiling faces. Nothing makes me a happier art teacher than seeing smiling faces.




8 comments:

Unknown said...

Matty,
I found what you said about working as an art teacher to be interesting, especially how you cope with limited supplies and resources. As a future music educator this will definitely be a challenge I encounter at some point in my career. Thanks for sharing a little bit about you!

Angela Weber said...

Wow! You are taking on a lot! I really enjoyed your introduction. I am a fan of art and I think that it is so important. I am glad that you are there so the students can get the education that they deserve. Art is such an important subject for so many students. It gives them a voice when they don't know how to express themselves in other ways and then, later, it becomes a preferred form of expression. I hope that you get the supplies you need. Have you thought about a GoFundMe? I'm not sure if districts approve of this, but it's an idea. I look forward to reading your blog.

Unknown said...

Matty,
Thanks so much for sharing your picture working with third graders! It is great to see our classmate sin the classroom. I am looking forward to reading future blog posts!
Barb

Chiung-Yueh Weigand said...

Hi Matty,
Take your time to enjoy the process of building your art classroom! I believe the process experience is priceless.
I admire your strong will to teach art. I think art is a very important component in education in the early years. My children both love art classes more than others subjects. I even saved their drawings and paintings. I brought two oil paintings back to Taiwan this passing summer. And my family framed them to decorate in the living room.

thank you,
Chiung-Yueh

Shannon said...

Hi Matty,

The school that you teach at LaFollette are you talking about the one in Madison Lafollette High School? If so I went there so that's kind of cool if not then I think its funny that it has the same name as the high school that I went to. Thanks for the picture working in the classroom. I always liked art class because it was fun to paint and do other things in art class. Thanks for the blog I cant wait to learn more from you this semester.

Unknown said...

Hey Matty,

Your first post is inspiring to say the least! Would like to hear more on how you were able to adapt to rebuilding an art education environment for your students. I'm glad we have someone like you in our group to discuss education matters with. I'm looking forward to reading more of your blog.

Michael

mr.oscar said...

Matty, I cannot wait to hear what more you bring into your classroom. Especially in a place that neglects the art. Being in that situation, you must really put forth your best to let others realize the importance art can bring into the flourishment of the minds of our students. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your experiences.

Todd Fischer said...

Matt,

I read through your Blog four, Text Sets and enjoyed the theme. I did a similar unit last year about monsters and I believe it was a great success. If you want to expand on this unit / Text Sets, I included some Scaffolding re-introduction additional sources for text sets. Just E-mail me if you are interested in the large JPG’s. The monster theme is a great avenue for connecting with all the students no matter what age or grade. Artist and lector David Devries actually went into schools and did a lecture about monsters. This idea worked as a school wide program and helped create that “desire to learn” feeling we are striving to develop in our students. I included a Web site to check out concerning David Devries. http://www.themonsterengine.com/. Great idea